Monday, August 26, 2013

The Whisperer in Darkness - 2011


I must admit, I got into the works of H.P. Lovecraft rather late. Just two or three years ago. Not really sure how I missed the boat on this one by so long, but ever since I've been making up for lost time. In the last couple years I've read as many stories as I could get my hands on, read tribute stories, and watched dozens of Lovecraftian movies. Not to mention my love of the HP Lovecraft Historical Society's amazing radio plays. And in my quest for all things Lovecraft, I will go on record and say that I think that The Whisperer in Darkness is best Lovecraft film adaption yet. Not since In the Mouth of Madness have I been this impressed with a Lovecraftian horror film.

Also a product of the HPL Historical Society, The Whisperer is an adaptation of the story of the same name. These guys, from their radio plays to their films, just clearly get Lovecraft and his vision. And though they took some liberties towards the end of the movie, they are changes that make sense and helped to better adapt the story to film. The original ending wouldn't have had quite the impact as the one presented here. But really, this is the only thing I think Lovecraft fans could take any issue with.

What makes this film really stand out, besides fine acting and extremely interesting characters, is the tone of it. The Whisperer in Darkness is done in the style of a classic horror movie. It's black and white, with that classic, almost rhythmic style of speaking, and old style spooky music. But all that is coupled with a quicker pace and intriguing story telling. It definitely has the feel of the Dark Adventure Radio Plays.

The film is still available on DVD, but sadly the prices have started rising. I guess it is getting rare, or always was. Not sure if it is available on any streaming sites, but this is a must see film for Lovecraft fans. Find it!



3 comments:

  1. This is a really great little film. The previous one the did as a silent movie (The Call of Cthulhu) is also pretty cool. I love them to do The Shadow over Innsmouth one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dagon, which was a Spanish version-ish of Shadow over Innsmouth was pretty good. I'd recomend that one.

      Delete
  2. I definitely agree that this is the best Lovecraft adaptation yet. I'm happy we are spoiled enough to have something like the HPLHS giving us Lovecraft films done right. I am a fan of Stuart Gordon's Dagon, but I would love to see the HPLHS's take on it.

    ReplyDelete

You may also like

Related Posts with Thumbnails